April 18, 2008

We've lost one of the great ones



Danny Federici, the most instinctive and natural musician I ever met and the only member of the band who can reduce me to a shouting mess. I love you Danny. Your organ and accordion playing brought the boardwalks of Central and South Jersey alive in my music. Thank you. -- Bruce Springsteen
 --------------------------------------------------------------
For those of you who never got to see this man perform, take my word for it that he was extraordinary.  I have spent the majority of my adult life listening to and following on tour the music of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band.  So it is only fitting to pay tribute today to the great Danny Federici, he is irreplaceable in the hearts of all his fans.  Danny took a leave of absence a few months ago from the tour to fight the melanoma full time.  I was at Bruce's concert at the L.A. Sport Arena and got to see Danny right before he left.  I knew in my spirit that he was gravely ill even before it was announced, he just didn't look good.  During the show I lifted my hand towards him several times and quietly prayed.  It was painful to see him that way and if I knew that was going to be the last time I saw him it would have been unbearable.  I am thankful I had that last concert with him.  I pray that he is with our Lord and is no longer in pain. 
On behalf of all his fans around the world, "Phantom Dan Federici," may you rest in peace forever.

~Cindy~

For a very moving tribute to the friendship Bruce and Danny had please click here for a wonderful video -- it brought me to tears.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are all so saddened by his death, we will miss him so much.

Anonymous said...

I can't imagine seeing the E Street Band without him. RIP Danny.